Building a WordPress-based website is not that hard, you just need to follow some simple steps.
- Think about the topic of your website
- Get a domain name
- Get a hosting account (or a combination of domain and registration)
- Download the latest version of WordPress from WordPress.org
- Unzip it to your computer
- Upload the files via FTP to your hosting account
- Create or request a MySQL Database and Database User with a good secure password
- Run the installer
- Choose and upload a Great WordPress Theme
- Install a number of basic plugins
- Start writing the content in pages and/or blog posts…
Looks pretty easy, but it's still a lot of work.
I will walk you through each of these steps in very simple and easy to understand articles which can be found on this site.
In some cases we will combine a few steps to speed up the process.
Each of the steps will get its own page or post to get you started.
If you are new to WordPress, start working from the top down.
Otherwise, you can go right to the topic of your interest.
WordPress as Website Content Management System
The steps mentioned above are the same for any WordPress-based website.
It doesn't matter if you are creating a blog or a static website, you need to have the basic WordPress install process ready.
Once you have that down, we will go into the creation of a static website with a blog page (this is optional). If you just want a static site, we will not create a blog page.
The main part of building a static WordPress-based website covers the following subjects:
- Creating pages
- Creating sub pages
- Sorting of pages
- Installing plugins to handle CMS features
- Using CMS or Magazine-like themes
- What to change in your theme
- Use of images
- Creation of menus
The menus should reflect the structure of your WordPress site and guide your visitors through the content on your website.